Through the centuries, copper has been used in pottery, jewelry, cookware, water pipes, coins, tools, musical instruments, and more. In fact, evidence points to the discovery of copper approximately 13,000 years ago. The Roman Empire, especially, utilized copper in many venues, including sculpture, waterworks and plumbing, architecture, and fashion and jewelry.
Copper, being the top conductor of electricity, is one of the most used elements in manufacturing, and therefore highly crucial to our current age of modern technology and globalization. Copper also remains a popular choice among manufacturers for a wide range of products. Copper wire jewelry is just one of the more popular uses of copper to be introduced in America by the Europeans arriving on the continent.
One venue that highly utilized copper was Pre-Columbian visual art and jewelry. Pre-Columbian refers to the indigenous people of the Americas and the Caribbean. These artists invented tumbaga, an alloy of gold and copper. The Pre-Columbian glyphs, copper and tumbaga work, and overall style all are a large influencer of the jewelry made here at SuddenShrines.
How Does Copper Affect Our Health?
Historically, copper has been known as the grounding metal for the body and spirit. It is associated with holistically storing healing and protective properties.
In addition to the many tangible benefits of copper, this amazing mineral is responsible for a number of health benefits that are not commonly known. If you aren’t aware of the role of copper in the healing or efficient functioning of the human body, here’s what you need to know.
The many health benefits of copper include:
- It performs anti-inflammatory actions. It assists in reducing the symptoms of arthritis and circulation problems.
- It protects skeletal, nervous, and cardiovascular systems. It contributes to proper oxygenation in red blood cells to support healthy growth of organs and tissues.
- It regulates melanin production. Copper is responsible for the natural dark pigment, melanin, which imparts coloration to the skin, eyes, and hair.
- It has brain stimulant properties. The amount of copper in the diet must be balanced to derive this benefit. Too much copper can be unhealthy for the brain. Proper amounts of copper are associated with higher thought processes and creative thinking.
- Copper is a cofactor in about fifty different enzymes in the body. These enzymes are responsible for proper metabolism.
- It increases your energy! Copper assists in the synthesis of adenosine triphosphate, which is the energy storehouse of the body.
- Copper prevents thyroid malfunction. It ensures proper function of the thyroid gland. However, the amount of copper must be carefully balanced. Too much copper can cause hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.
- Copper has amazing healing properties. It boosts the immune system to promote better wound healing and can cure anemia.
Diet: Sources of Copper
Copper content in many foods is scarce due to overprocessing and prolonged storage. However, some good sources of copper include nuts, almonds, avocados, meat, liver, whole grains, blackstrap molasses, beets, and lentils. The body can also absorb copper from drinking water that flows through copper pipes. Using copper cookware and wearing copper jewelry are other good sources.
Mental & Physical Benefits of Wearing Copper Jewelry
Wearing copper jewelry is an excellent way to get the small amounts of the mineral needed because copper can be absorbed through the skin. Many people find relief from the symptoms of circulation problems, arthritis, headaches, and zinc deficiency when wearing copper jewelry. To ensure that you get the full effect of copper absorption, be sure the jewelry is not coated.
In addition to its physical health benefits, copper is also a wonderful promoter of mental health. As mentioned before, copper is one of the best conductors of heat; therefore, it is an amazing conductor of energy, amplifying thoughts, assisting in channeling energy and communication, and opening the pathways for mental and physical healing.
At SuddenShrines, we have a beautiful selection of copper jewelry that will promote positive energy, healing and gratitude. We invite you to visit our website to learn more about copper jewelry and to find your perfect piece!